We found our first mushrooms of the season in this week's #CreteNature; these edible (if tricky) Mica Caps, but what percentage of wild mushrooms are worth taking home for the pot?
A tricky question as 'mushrooms' as we know them are part of the kingdom of fungi and the great majority of them have yet to be scientifically described let alone tested for their edibility or otherwise. However the American Journal of Wild Mushrooming gives the following answer subject to the given caveat:
25% edible but not incredible (like the Mica Caps above)
20% will make you sick
4% will be tasty to excellent
1% will kill you
So the answer is a) about 4%, the other 96% are best left to get on with the job of being mushrooms.
More nature facts and trivia in this week's #CreteNature Blog: Voila - Turkish Delight
My partner keeps bees. We call them 'the girls' and speak to them regularly. They're a very good tempered bunch, they make delic...
Copper Beech, Storey Gardens, Lancaster Our local railway has been offering cheap day out fares recently, so we hoiked ourselves down to P...
Long ago, in days of yore Emma fell for Sir Eglamore Not only fell But fell right in And what is more She couldn't swim ...
With so much water about in the Lake District, I thought that it was about time that we got out on to it. So, join me out on Derwent Water...
Eycott Hill Nature Reserve, Cumbria, UK Here be volcanoes! OK, Cumbria may not be the first place that comes to mind when considering the ...