Monday 20 January 2020

To Pastures New


This will be my final post from Cumbria for a bit as I am returning to Crete on Friday. Once there I shall be putting the little cottage that Christina and I lived and loved in for fourteen years on the market. Crete is a great place for two but rather lonely for one. This means that I shall have to find somewhere to live here in Cockermouth and with that in mind I thought we’d take a look at some chalets on the outskirts of town.





Certainly can’t fault the view and good walking country too. The River Cocker flows just beyond those trees down there but we’re high enough up to be out of the flood zone. In the distance lies Grisedale Pike, Grasmoor and Whinlatter Forest Park just waiting to be explored in the Spring.





The chalets, I have my doubts about. Many of them are holiday lets and, as it’s rather exposed up here, I think it may not be much fun in the winter and it will probably cost a fortune to keep warm. Anyhow, I’ll bear them in mind.





On a practical level let’s take a time check and see how long it takes to walk into town. The chalets are situated just off Simonscale Lane which we visited back in the summer. It looks very different today with just a few haws to provide a splash of colour.



If we cut through this little housing estate there should be a path leading through a wood…



...that will lead us down to the river...



...which will take us to the little lane that runs by Tom Rudd Beck where, in this hazel coppice where the catkins are ready to release their pollen to the wind, I’ve just seen a Red Squirrel.





Here we are at the top of town in a little under half an hour but I noticed that it was downhill all the way which means it would be uphill all the way home – most likely carrying shopping. I think we’ll look for a flat in town. Oh look, the snowdrops are out. How nice.

Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in buying a detached, two bedroomed cottage on the south east coast of Crete between Ierapetra and Makry Gialos please message me via facebook.


Although insects and other creepy-crawlies are very thin on the ground still at the moment that’s no reason not to buy a book about them. Get to know them before they arrive in all their varied forms.









Crete Nature Catch-up


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts