Monday 27 February 2023

Beyond Crete

 


For sixteen years, I lived a somewhat idyllic life on the island of Crete in the Mediterranean, and many of you know me from The Crete Nature Blog. I returned to the UK in 2020, settling in Cockermouth in Cumbria, where my life has changed, almost beyond recognition. It is now, I am glad to say, just as idyllic (albeit somehat damper) and new adventures await.




As well as having a host of new wildlife to observe, new plants to pluck from the hedgerows and cook in Steve's Wild Kitchen, I have also developed an interest in human history and begun to collect various curios to adorn my new 'bachelor pad' set in The Old Cornmill, on the banks of the River Derwent. These, I live with for a while and then sell on through my little online antiques shop, SVCwithEtsy. It makes a little beer money, but it's mainly for the joy of finding out the history behind the object.




I have also acquired a new life partner in Ishbel, who shares my love of nature and objects from a byegone age, which is presumably what she sees in me. Apart from me, she has also recently invested in a turn of the century campervan. It is in this, along with Mattie the hyperpup, that we intend to explore this beautiful country. So, join us, if you will, as we explore the countryside, take in a few antiques fairs along the way, sample as much local produce as we can, and generally appreciate Cumbria, Westmorland and beyond.




Make a note now, to subscribe to Steve's Nature Plus.






PS You may have noticed, in the second picture, a set of volumes held between two industrial book ends. This is my first full length novel, The MONOM, which is now available as a paperback and ebook on Amazon. This is the fifth book I've written since leaving Crete, and you can see them all on my author page.


All the best,


Steve


SVCwithEtsy.



Follow me on Steve's Nature Plus

and also on Twitter Steve's Nature, Facebook Steve Daniels Naturalistsand Instagram

Steve Daniels Cumbria







No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts